Wednesday, July 9, 2008

My newest best friend...

I had to meet with the diabetes educator again today. I couldn't get my morning fasting numbers where they needed to be no matter what I tried. Yesterday was just a crummy day and my breakfast, lunch and dinner numbers were higher than they should have been, even though I kept within the carb requirements.

I called the educator and I was told that it was time to try some insulin. Definitely not something I wanted to do, but needed to be done. I thought I was only going to have to shoot myself up once a day, but after looking at my numbers from yesterday we're going to try twice a day.

I had a choice between the vial and syringe or an insulin pen. I picked the pen! Much easier to use, almost fool proof and I can just throw it in my purse. One medication for now and we'll have to go to two at some point later in the pregnancy. The shots have to be given 12 hours apart.


I gave myself my first shot around 7. It scared the crap out of me. I just keep repeating to myself...I can do this, I can do this, I can do this.

I'm sure the pharmacy we use is loving me right about now.

No comments: