Friday, January 25, 2008

Where do I even start?

It's been crazy around here for the last 10 days or so.

My trip out west went really well. It was wonderful seeing my parents, sister, nephews and extended family. Of course it would have been much better had the circumstances been different. While visiting at my aunt and uncles house, I honestly expected grandma to walk through the door and give me a hug.

The worst part about being gone was that Kolin and the kids weren't with me. There just wasn't any way we could swing it on short notice, but I let everyone know that we'd all be out soon for a longer visit.

Getting home was an adventure. Both my flights were on time and I even got into the airport about 20 minutes early. I made it out to the van to discover that the battery was dead. I had to walk (quite a bit) back to the check out to ask them for a battery jump and walked back to the van to wait. Did I happen to mention that it was at least -22 degrees out!?!?!?!? The guy who came out to help me was great. Tried jumping the van, but it wasn't budging. It was dead and nothing was going to help. I was driven back to the airport entrance and called Kolin. It was almost 9pm and told him it was time to jump in the car with the kids and come and get me.

The drive to the airport is about 2 hours. Ever watch the movie Adventures In Babysitting? I totally felt like Brenda at the bus station waiting for Chris and the kids to come rescue her. Fortunately the airport was nice and warm, had great security and I didn't have to worry too much about seeing white rats that looked like kittens. =)

Close to 11pm Kolin and the kids show up! Can't tell you how happy I was to see them. We drove around for quite awhile in the suburbs looking for a super walmart or equivilent that would be open so that we could get a battery. Brennan kept telling us that he wanted pizza and we weren't nice enough to stop and get him some. At around 12:30am we headed back home and gave up on the battery search.

Sunday we woke up bright and early....only about 4 hours of sleep. We got Jadyn ready to leave for her bowling tournament. Taryn and a friend were dropped off at another friends so they could go to a birthday party. The rest of us headed to walmart to get a battery and then headed back up to the airport and installed the darn thing.

Kolin and I have to look at these instances as big adventures. If we look at it any other way it doesn't do either one of us any good.

No comments: